Thursday, August 2, 2012

THROWBACK THURSDAY #4


Hosted by:

THROWBACK THURSDAY #4

The Howling Miller

1. First published: 1981
2. Genre: fiction, humorous
3. Themes: love, small village people, madness
4. Paperback 288 pages
5. Avg. rating on Goodreads: 3.77

The book tells of a man called Gunnar Huttunen. He goes to a village, to restore a mill. To the villagers, he seems a little odd. And even more so when he starts howling at nights..

It´s a few years from when I read this book, originally titled in Finnish Ulvova Mylläri so I have not rated it here. I am quite sure I would have give it a 4 or 5 star rating if I read it again, because I remember that the book really made me laugh. Hopefully it isn´t just something that makes Finnish people laugh. This author is one of the best known Finnish authors in Finland. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I've nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award.

    Full rules are via a post on my blog:

    http://verdictbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    Happy reading and keep up will the great blogging.

    Sophie :) [Verdict]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pick sounds interesting!
    It is always good to expand my reading and read books that are popular elsewhere too.
    Thanks!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. I'll have to give it the non-Finnish test. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He has other translated works as well. I think Year of the Hare is the most well known in Finland but I haven´t read it myself. Let me know what you think if you end up reading something written by him :)

    ReplyDelete